- Who are house investors?
- Traditional home buyers
- Steps to selling your house to an investor
- Why would you want to sell your house to an investor?
- Difference between selling to investors and traditional sales?
- Downsides of working with an investor
- Upsides of working with real estate investors
- Do investors pay fair market value?
- Are there any costs when selling to an investor?
- 5 questions to ask yourself before selling to an investor
- Are cash home buyers legit?
When it comes to selling a house, there are a few options available to homeowners. You can list your house with a traditional real estate agent, sell it yourself as a For Sale By Owner (FSBO), or sell it to a real estate investor.
In this blog post, we will explore the option of selling to cash home buyers/ home investors in detail.
Why are house investors? What are the steps for selling your house to an investor in Houston? How do investors differ from traditional buyers? Things you should know and what scams to watch for. These are just some of the questions that we will answer in this post. Stay tuned!
Who are house investors?
House investors are individuals who purchase properties with the intention of holding them for a long-term investment or flipping it for short-term gains. They typically work in your local market, attempting to find deals below market value.
Most investors are usually looking for fixer-uppers that they can renovate and sell at a higher price or rent out for passive income.
Home investors range from small one to two-person operations to larger companies like Offerpad and Zillow.
Here are some of the strategies they use for buying properties:
Real estate investment strategies
- They will oftentimes use cash to purchase the property outright. This is one of the reasons why selling to a real estate investor can be so appealing compared to a traditional sale.
- They are not as concerned with the condition of the property. This means that you don’t have to make any repairs or do any cleaning before selling your home.
- They are usually more flexible with closing dates. This can be helpful if you need to sell your house quickly.
- Real estate investors typically don’t ask for any contingencies. A contingency is a clause in the contract that allows the buyer to back out of the deal if certain conditions are not met. For example, a common contingency is the buyer’s ability to obtain financing. Since you are getting a cash offer, financing is typically a non-issue.
Now that we’ve answered the question who are house investors? and some of the strategies involved in the sales process. let’s move on to the next question: who are traditional buyers?
Traditional homebuyers in Houston
Traditional buyers are individuals who purchase a property with the intention of living in it themselves or using it as a rental property. This is considered “traditional home sales”
Unlike investors, traditional buyers are usually more concerned with the condition of the property. This means that you will likely have to make some repairs or do some cleaning before selling your house to a traditional buyer.
Another difference between traditional buyers and investors is that traditional buyers usually require a mortgage in order to purchase the property.
This can lengthen the process of selling your property since the buyer will need to obtain financing from a bank or other lender.
So, should you sell your house for cash or list it with a real estate agent?
Now that we have compared the two, let’s dive it which option is better for you.
The answer to this question depends on a few factors. One factor to consider is how quickly you need to sell your house in Houston.
If you need to sell your house quickly, then selling to a real estate investor may be the best option since they are usually more flexible with closing dates.
Another factor to consider is the condition of your house. If your home is in tip-top shape, your best bet is to sell it with an agent. If you don’t have one, it’s very easy to find great real estate agents. You can simply ask around and you won’t get a shortage of recommendations.
If want to know more about the pros and cons of selling your home to an agent? check out our blog post here.
Steps to selling your house to an investor in Houston
- Find out the value of your home
- Find a local cash buyer
- Vet the company for legitimacy
- Evaluate the terms of the cash offer
- Check with a licensed real estate agent
- Accept the offer
- Review and sign the contract
Find out the value of your home
The first step in selling your home is finding out the value based on your local real estate market. You can do this by getting a comparative market analysis (CMA) from real estate agents or ordering an appraisal from a licensed appraiser.
A CMA will give you an estimate of what your home is worth based on recent sales of similar properties in your area. An appraisal will give you a more accurate estimate of your home’s value, but it will cost you more money.
Once you have an idea of what your property is worth, you can start looking for home investors in your area.
Find a local cash buyer
There are a few different ways to find cash buyers in your area. You can search online, ask around for referrals, or look for signs that say “We Buy Houses.”
Within no time at all, you will get a cash offer. Side note, it might be lower than your expectation, so keep an open mind. Don’t let an offer offend you if it’s too low, decline it and move on.
When you find a potential buyer, you will need to vet them to make sure they are legitimate.
Vet the company for legitimacy
There are a few things you can do to vet a company:
- Check their website and make sure it is professional
- Read online reviews from past clients
- Ask for references from past clients
- Make sure they are licensed and insured
Once you have done your research and you feel comfortable with the buyer, you can move on to the next step.
Evaluate the terms of the cash offer
Once you have found a buyer, they will make you an offer on your house. It is important to evaluate the terms of the offer before you accept it.
Some things you should look at are:
- The price they are offering
- The timeline for the sale
- The contingencies of the sale
- The inspection period
Once you have evaluated the offer and you are happy with the terms, you can move on to the next step.
Check with a licensed real estate agent
If you are not sure whether or not you should accept the offer, you can always check with an agent. They will be able to tell you if the offer is fair and give you advice on what to do next.
Accept the offer
If you are happy with the offer, you can accept it and continue with the closing process! The next step is to review and sign the contract.
Review and sign the contract
Once you have accepted the offer, you will need to review and sign the contract. This is a legally binding document, so it is important that you understand everything that is in it.
If you have any questions, be sure to ask your attorney or agent before you sign.
After you have reviewed and signed the contract, the sale is official! Congrats, you have just sold your house to a reputable investor!
Why would you want to sell your house to an investor?
There are a few reasons why you might want to sell to a local investor:
- You need to sell fast and don’t have time to list with a real estate agent
- You are behind on payments and facing foreclosure
- Your house needs a lot of work and you don’t have the money to fix it up
- You are moving out of state and need to sell quickly
- Free no-obligation cash offer
If any of these reasons apply to you, selling to a home investor might be the way to go.
Properties investors want to buy
Investors/house flippers typically pay less than traditional buyers, because they plan on using the property to generate income.
There is a rule in investing ” you make your money when you buy not when you sell” So investors are constantly looking for opportunities that are below market value.
They also understand that there may be some repairs or renovations that need to be done in order to make the house marketable.
That means they are often interested in buying houses that are in foreclosure or distressed in some way.
Difference between selling to investors and traditional sales?
In a traditional sale, the homeowner works with a real estate agent to list their house on the MLS.
The agent markets the property to buyers who are interested in purchasing a home to live in. The goal is to sell the house for as much money as possible which usually takes two to three months to complete.
In contrast, selling to an investor is a much quicker process. Many investors are interested in purchasing properties that they can either rent out or sell for a profit.
The goal is to sell the house quickly and for a fair price. One of the benefits of working with an investor is that they will usually pay cash for the property.
This can be helpful for homeowners who are facing a foreclosure or need to sell their house quickly or for other reasons.
Another benefit is that you will not have to pay real estate commissions when you sell to an investor.
So, if you are considering selling your house, you may want to consider working with professional investors. Of course, there are also some downsides to this option that you should be aware of.
Downsides of working with an investor
For one, investors usually pay less than traditional buyers. This is because they plan on using the property to generate income.
That means they are often interested in buying properties that are in foreclosure or distressed in some way.
If you are looking for an asking price for full market value, then working with an investor may not be the best option for you.
Another downside is that you will not have as much control over the sale process. Investors usually want to close on a property quickly, which means you may not have time to find a new place to live.
You should also be aware that some investors are not legitimate. There have been cases of people posing as investors in order to take advantage of homeowners in need.
So, if you do decide to sell, make sure you do your research and work with a reputable company with positive online reviews.
Upsides of working with real estate investors
One of the benefits of working with a cash home buyer is that they will usually pay cash for the property. This can be helpful for homeowners who are selling their homes as-is and are wanting a quick sale.
Another benefit you won’t have to worry about is paying real estate commissions. Which can range from 3-6 percent of the sales price.
In most cases, the process is streamlined and simple. There is not much back and forth and negotiating with multiple buyers.
You can also negotiate a flexible closing date, which can be helpful if you need more time to move out of your house.
You also won’t find a shortage of investors wanting to buy your property. The number of investors interested in purchasing properties has grown significantly in recent years.
However, it’s important to remember that not all are created equal. It’s still important to do your research and make sure you are working with reputable investors.
Will a real estate investor require an inspection?
One common question that homeowners have is whether or not an investor will require an inspection. The answer to this question depends on the investor.
Some investors are interested in properties that need some work and are willing to do the repairs themselves. In these cases, they may not require an inspection.
Other investors may want a property that is in good condition and will require an inspection. Their investment strategy is geared towards turn-key rental properties.
This is not a cut-and-dry question, it will vary. The best way to find out is to ask the investor directly.
What should you do if you’re interested in selling?
If you are interested in selling your home, the first step is to find a reputable company to work with.
Once you have found a company that you feel comfortable with, the next step is to give them a call and schedule a free consultation.
During the consultation, they will assess your property and give you an offer.
If you accept their offer, they will then schedule a time to close on the property.
The selling process can usually be completed in a matter of weeks.
It’s important to know more than just how much an investor will pay for your house.
You should also be aware of the pros and cons of working with an investor. By doing your research and understanding all your options, you can make sure you sell your house in a way that is best for you.
Selling your home to an investor can be a quick and easy way to get rid of your property.
However, it’s important to do your research and make sure you are working with a reputable company.
Be sure to understand the home sale process and know what to expect before working with a company. This will help ensure that the process goes smoothly and you get the best possible price for your property.
Do investors pay fair market value?
The answer to this question varies between investors.
Some are interested in properties that need some work and are willing to do the repairs themselves. So, they expect to pay less than market value.
While others are interested in buying properties with no extra work involved. They lean towards turn-key properties or move-in ready. So they don’t have a problem paying the market price.
How fast can these home buyers complete the transaction?
Cash buyers can usually conduct the walking-through process and complete the deal within one to four weeks. However, it may vary depending on the size of the company and its access to capital.
Another factor is how quickly you want to sell and the condition of the property. If you’re in a rush, the selling process can go very quickly.
If you want to take your time and entertain as many offers as possible to get the best price, it could take a bit longer.
In all, working with an investor is typically faster than going through the traditional sale process.
Are there any costs when selling to an investor?
The good news is that there are no realtor fees when selling to an investor. You also won’t have to pay for any repairs or make any updates to the property.
However, there isn’t any guarantee that you won’t pay any fees. Ultimately it depends on the company you chose to work with. Some charge fees and others don’t. You will have to way the options and chose what works for you.
5 questions to ask yourself before selling to an investor
Here are five questions to help you determine if selling to an investor is the right choice for you:
- Do I need to sell my house fast? This is one of the main reasons people sell their homes to cash buyers. They are in a pinch and don’t have the time to sell the traditional way.
- Do I have the time and money to make repairs? If your house needs a lot of work, it could take months to get it ready for the market. And if you don’t have the money you won’t be able to sell your house for fair market value. So, instead of taking on a project, some people opt to sell for a lesser value, than to do the work themselves.
- What is my motivation for selling? Are you trying to avoid foreclosure or do you need to sell fast because of a job transfer? If you need to sell for a certain price, then working with an investor might not be the best option.
- Do I want to deal with showings and open houses? This is one of the most frustrating parts of selling a home. You have to keep your house clean and presentable at all times. Not to mention the strangers coming in and out of your home.
- Do I need the cash now? If you are in a tough situation and you need to get quick access to some funds. Selling to an investor might be the best option. You can have cash in hand within a few weeks.
- Can you sell your house for market value? If your home has deteriorated over the years and you don’t have the means to get it back to where it needs to be. Chances are a traditional buyer won’t be able to finance it. Banks won’t lend on properties that are inhabitable or in very poor condition. You will need to use other means of selling it. That could be owner financing or selling it to an investor.
By asking yourself these questions, you can help determine whether or not selling to an investor is the right choice for you.
If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us. We would be happy to help you in any way we can here at Sell Your Homes Houston.
When should you sell your house to an investor?
There are a few different situations when selling your house to an investor might be the best option. If you need to sell your house quickly and don’t have the time or money to make repairs.
If you are facing foreclosure or if you’re going through a divorce, selling to an investor might be your best bet.
These are just a few examples of when selling your house to an investor might be the right choice.
Are cash home buyers legit?
As with anything, there are always going to be a few bad apples. But for the most part, investors are LEGIT.
There are a few different types of investors. Some buy and hold properties, some that fix and flip properties, and some that do a little bit of both.
The most important thing is to do your research and make sure you are working with a reputable company.
How to Avoid Home Investment Scams?
There are a few things you can do to avoid being scammed.
- The first thing you should do is research the company or individual you are working with. Make sure they have a good reputation and that they are legitimate.
- The second thing you can do is get everything in writing. This includes the sales contract, repair estimates, and anything else you agree to.
- The third thing you can do is to not sign anything until you are 100% sure you want to sell your house.
- The fourth thing is to check to see if they have good reviews on your favorite search engine.
By following these simple tips, you can help avoid being scammed.
Selling your house to an investor can be a great option if you need to sell quickly and don’t have the time or money to make repairs. It’s not for every situation and using an agent will work out best for most people.
It’s important to do your research and make sure you are working with a reputable company. And, always get everything in writing.
We hope this article was helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us. We would be happy to help you in any way we can. Thanks for reading!