Moving is hardly ever enjoyable. Find out when to call a mover in Texas.
What to Know When Hiring a Moving Company?
When Should I Hire Movers?
This question gets asked a lot. The easy answer is, it’s best to start calling movers as soon as possible. Especially if you are moving in the summer peak months.
The last thing you need to happen is all the good moving companies are booked and you end up with a bad moving company. Or having to move all your stuff yourself.
How Much Are You Moving?
If you are moving a lot of cumbersome items, working with a mover will be your best bet.
Movers are experts in packing, lifting, and getting all of your stuff transported as efficiently as possible. They might only need to make one trip in what could take you six.
How Far Are You Going?
If you are moving across the city, or even across the state, doing the move by yourself might be the way to go. However the further you go, the more logistics become involved.
Costs go up exponentially the further away you are moving. Why? Because moving across the country can be hard work! Think of it this way: Would you rather save money? Or would you rather save time?
Are You Comfortable Behind The Wheel?
Moving trucks can vary in size from about 12 to 30 feet. If you are towing your vehicle, you can add on at least another 10 feet. Do you have any experience driving a larger vehicle?
You will save quite a bit of money moving your items yourself. However, you need to make sure you will be comfortable driving a truck of this size, especially through metro areas.
Is it Worth it to Hire Movers?
If you are moving across the country with a large moving truck, you are looking at a process that will take several days.
You will need to stop more for gas and overall, you will be driving much slower than if you were driving just your vehicle.
You might need to make a few overnight stops as well. Once you factor in the time packing, loading, driving, unloading, unpacking… you might want to consider bringing in the pros.
Professional movers are adept and efficient when it comes to getting you moved in quickly.
What to Know When Hiring a Moving Company
- Great reviews
- The company is licensed and insured
- A successful record of dealing with customers
- Transparent rates
- Bad movers that will steel your belongings
- Recommendations that you can trust
- Handles your belongings with care
- Professional inventor process
Will You Have Any Help?
If you are moving across town, you will likely be able to recruit (bribe) some friends or family to help you out.
If you are moving to a new city entirely, you might not have that support base of people willing to help you out.
Moving is tough, and if you are doing it all on your own, be prepared for some hard work ahead!
A couple of things to remember:
- Keep items you will need right away with you. Pack a suitcase as if you were going on a long trip. Keep toiletries, clothes, items for work/school and other daily items close by. There can me delays when using moving companies, so be prepared.
- You might also consider moving important items in your car, and leave the furniture to the pros. Load up your vehicle, and embark on that cross-country road trip you have always talked about! Make it an adventure!
- And when it comes to your furniture: If it is more expensive to ship than it’s worth, leave it behind. You will be better off selling or donating the item, and replacing it once you are in your new city.